Suzanne Thorpe joined WJE in 2002 and has been involved in a wide variety of projects, including building enclosure condition assessments of both new and historically significant buildings and structures. Her work has included the investigation and repair design for various building types to address bulk rainwater penetration, condensation, and moisture-related deterioration of above- and below-grade building enclosure materials, components and systems. These systems have included steel, concrete, timber, brick masonry, terra cotta, cast stone, precast, exterior insulation finishing system (EIFS), aluminum/glass curtain wall, and various roofing/waterproofing systems.
Ms. Thorpe has also performed building envelope consulting services, including building enclosure peer review, design assistance, preconstruction mock-up performance testing, and construction period services on multiple buildings throughout the Washington, D.C. region and beyond.
Building Enclosure Consulting
- Montgomery County Maryland Judicial Center Annex - Rockville, MD: Design peer review and construction period services for stick-built and structural glass curtain walls, metal panels and masonry.
- 7550 Wisconsin Avenue - Bethesda, MD: Design peer review, on-site quality assurance, performance testing of unitized curtain wall, and evaluation of fire-rated glazing assemblies.
- New Washington D.C. Convention Center - Washington, D.C.: On-site quality assurance and observations during construction; consulting on the building envelope, including stone, glazed metal curtain wall, and precast concrete
- The Jefferson at 70 and 100 Eye Streets SE - Washington, D.C.: Observation and quality assurance field testing of below-grade foundation waterproofing and building envelope installation during construction, including brick masonry, hot fluid-applied rubberized asphalt roofing, and glazed aluminum window assemblies
- Meridian Hill Cooperative - Washington, D.C.: Restoration of stucco facades, window replacement, and design of structural repairs to masonry chimneys
- Hotel Kimpton Monaco - Alexandria, VA: Restoration of masonry facade and cast stone lintels; window replacement
- Pan American Health Organization - Washington, D.C.: Evaluation of curtain wall, marble panels, and modified bitumen roofing; water penetration testing
- One Skyline Tower - Falls Church, VA: Water leakage investigation; evaluation of curtain wall and roofing assemblies
- National Institutes of Health, Building 29 - Bethesda, MD: Evaluation of masonry facade and aluminum frame window assessment; water leakage investigation
- Courthouse Plaza One and Two - Arlington, VA: Evaluation of curtain wall and precast concrete panels; water leakage investigation
Repair and Rehabilitation
- 400 Massachusetts Avenue NW - Washington, D.C: Field testing to determine sources of uncontrolled water penetration and design of new and retrofit flashing details for masonry and cast stone facade
- The Majestic Apartments - Washington, D.C.: Investigation into uncontrolled water penetration through masonry mass walls and development of repair contract documents
- Century I and II - Arlington, VA: Development of repair contract documents; sealant replacement, concrete rehabilitation, architectural coating, window replacement, and mineral cleaning
- Warner Buildings - Washington, D.C.: Water leakage investigation of atrium skylight and balcony terraces, development of repair contract documents, and waterproofing and sealant replacement
American Society of Civil Engineers
Professional Engineer in DC, MD, and VA
Bachelor of Science, Civil Engineering, 2001
University of Maryland
Master of Science, Structural Engineering, 2002
Exterior Wall Water Leakage Investigation and Repair Design MORE >Projects | Courthouse Plaza One and Two
Exterior Wall Water Leakage Investigation and Repair Design MORE >Projects | 1660 International Drive
Clients turn to WJE when they need a firm that fully understands the aesthetic and functional... MORE >Services | Building Enclosures
WJE utilizes experienced professionals and state-of-the-art modeling and analysis techniques to... MORE >Services | Building Enclosure Testing
WJE professionals balance the need to provide practical, long-term solutions with the ability to... MORE >Services | Historic Preservation
MORE >Services | Facade Assessment
WJE professionals deliver practical repair and rehabilitation services that maximize the... MORE >Services | Repair and Rehabilitation
MORE >Offices | Washington, D.C.