Alan R. Dreyfuss has more than thirty-three years of experience in architectural design and historic preservation, specializing in rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of historic structures. His projects have included commercial, institutional, and private clients, and have ranged in scale from a one?room, wood-frame school house to a brick- and terra cotta-clad high-rise.
Mr. Dreyfuss’ expertise includes Historic Resource Condition Assessments, evaluations for CEQA and Section 106 compliance, Historic Structure Reports, National Register applications, and application of Federal Historic Preservation Tax Credits.
Mr. Dreyfuss is recognized as an expert in building codes for historic buildings. He was instrumental in development of the 2001 and 2007 California Historical Building Code, and is currently chair of the State Historical Building Safety Board.
Mr. Dreyfuss’ preservation and design projects have been recognized by the Rudy Brunner Award for Urban Excellence and the Central Valley Chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Seven of those projects have received Design Awards from the California Preservation Foundation.
- SMUD Headquarters Building - Sacramento, CA: Historic Structure Report and construction documents for the exterior envelope rehabilitation of National Register-listed, mid-century modern office building
- Riggers Loft - Richmond CA: Historic Structure Report and construction documents for the rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of National Register-listed World War II shipyard building
- Quarters 10 - Yerba Buena Island - San Francisco, CA: Historic Structure Report and construction documents for relocation and rehabilitation of National Register-listed mid-century modern navy residence
- Alameda Free Library - Alameda, CA: Exterior rehabilitation and seismic retrofit of major Carnegie Library
- The Altenheim - Oakland, CA: Rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of National Register-listed wood-frame and masonry retirement home
- First Unitarian Church - Dramatic Arts Department Dance Facility, University of California, Berkeley: Rehabilitation of National Register-listed Schweinfurth-designed church
- Kahn’s Department Store - Oakland, CA: Rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of National Register-listed department store with five-story central rotunda
- Southern Pacific Railroad Depot - Stockton, CA: Rehabilitation and adaptive reuse of National Register-listed masonry railroad station
- Swan’s Marketplace - Oakland, CA: Historic resource evaluation, project impact assessment, National Register application, and rehabilitation/adaptive reuse of historic public market hall
Historic Resource Assessment
- Hewlett Packard Company Plant - Palo Alto, CA: Assessment of eligibility for historic designation
- Shipyard No. Three - Richmond, CA: Developmental history of National Register-listed World War II shipyard
- St. Elizabeths - Washington, D.C.: Fifty-nine Historic Structure Reports and Building Preservation Plans for National Historic Landmark hospital complex
- Wawona Hotel - Yosemite National Park, CA: Historic Structure Report for National Historic Landmark building complex
- Tule Lake Jail - Tule Lake Internment Center- CA: Historic Structure Report for National Historic Landmark jail structure
- Central Station - Oakland, CA: Historic resource evaluation and project impact assessment for National Register-listed train station
- St. Josephs Home - Oakland, CA: Historical resource assessment and impact analysis per CEQA and Section 106 compliance
National Register Nominations
- Hewlett Packard Company House and Garage - Palo Alto, CA
- Swan’s Marketplace - Oakland, CA
American Institute of Architects
Association for Preservation Technology International
Architect in CA
University of California, Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts, Architecture, 1972
WJE professionals balance the need to provide practical, long-term solutions with the ability to... MORE >Services | Historic Preservation
WJE professionals deliver practical repair and rehabilitation services that maximize the... MORE >Services | Repair and Rehabilitation
WJE applies the lessons learned from over 125,000 projects to provide clients with a full... MORE >Services | Condition Evaluation
MORE >Offices | San Francisco