WJE Recipient of the Lucy G. Moses Preservation Award
The synagogue, designed by the architects Peter and Francis William Herter, was constructed in 1887 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. As part of a $20 million renovation effort to implement modern amenities and to restore the synagogue to its original grandeur, WJE was hired as a sub-consultant for excavation and underpinning procedures in order to create a full cellar below the existing synagogue.
Reopened to the public in 2007, the synagogue offers weekly services and also functions as a historical museum.
Return to News Index