Steven Hovland specializes in the investigation, evaluation, and repair of building envelope systems. He is experienced in investigations and field testing, repair design, construction document preparation, and construction contract administration.
Mr. Hovland evaluates and repairs exterior wall systems such as precast concrete, glass fiber reinforced concrete, exterior insulation and finish systems (EIFS), portland cement plaster (stucco), and natural stone. In addition, he designs, evaluates, and repairs below-grade waterproofing, plaza waterproofing, and roofing systems. Mr. Hovland also provides design consulting and peer review services to architects and developers for building envelope and waterproofing systems.
Construction Documents and Specifications
- Crystal Cove State Park - Laguna Beach, CA: Prepared construction documents for rehabilitation of historic vernacular cottages into overnight accommodation and park support facilities
Construction Observation Services
- 88 King Street - San Francisco, CA: Observation and testing of new window installation on two high-rise condominium towers
- 200 Brannan Street - San Francisco, CA: Water leakage investigation and repair recommendations for several varying facade elements, including curtain walls, stucco, and sheet metal flashing
- Rafael Town Center - San Rafael, CA: Evaluation and repair of leakage through exterior portland cement plaster wall system; water leakage testing; repair recommendations, litigation testimony, repair observation, and quality control testing of repairs
Roofing and Waterproofing
- Villa Italia - Mountain View, CA: Construction documents for below-grade waterproofing, podium waterproofing, balcony waterproofing, and roofing for a new multifamily residential project; peer review of exterior portland cement plaster wall construction
American Institute of Architects
Construction Specifications Institute
Architect in CA
Certified Construction Documents Technologist (CDT)
University of Illinois at Chicago
Bachelor of Architecture in Structures, 1990