Client

City of Milwaukee

Background

The Milwaukee City Hall is a steel-framed, stone, brick, and terra cotta masonry building with a 350-foot tall bell tower constructed between 1894—1895. Previous major rehabilitation work was undertaken in 1973—1974. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Solution

WJE's comprehensive investigation of the structure included a condition survey of the entire facade, inspection openings, sample removal, laboratory materials studies, cleaning studies, water infiltration testing, and instrumentation monitoring.

Based on the investigation, WJE developed a historically sensitive approach to the exterior restoration that was consistent with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards. A comprehensive report documented the existing conditions and the observed long-term effects of masonry cleaning and repairs performed in the 1970s. Cost estimates were also developed for repair or replacement of damaged, missing, or altered facade elements as well as for repair and supplemental reinforcement of the bell tower structure.